Pregnancy & Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorders
Having a baby is an event to celebrate. But for some, this joy is disrupted by postpartum depression and/or anxiety. At the Alexian Brothers Pregnancy and Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorder Program, we know how depression and anxiety can affect your ability to care for your child and we are here to help. Our caring staff of specialists provides a number of services that include:
- Prenatal and labor and delivery room screening for risk of postpartum depression.
- Support groups for women, couples and dads.
- During your hospital stay, education is offered about the signs and symptoms of postpartum depression and anxiety to help you and your family members identify when to contact a professional.
- Outpatient consultations and evaluations.
- Collaboration with lactation consultants, dietitians, home health nurses, mental health professionals, physicians, nurses, counselors, community agencies and health services, and women who assist with childbirth, known as doulas.
- A respite program that provides day or night care for both you and your baby.
Our program staff specializes in pregnancy and postpartum depression and anxiety issues. We use all available resources, such as certified nurse midwives, obstetricians, pediatricians, psychiatrists and other behavioral health specialists to treat depression or anxiety before it can get in the way of bonding with and caring for your baby.
Why Choose Us
Postpartum depression is a common yet serious medical condition that can be treated. If you think you might be struggling with postpartum depression or anxiety, a simple screening will help to assess your situation. We also provide year-long support after your child's birth to help you and your baby thrive during this transitional period of life through our postpartum support groups.