Tips for Better Sleep
Be good to yourself and make time for sleep. Here are tips that promote a healthy sleep style:
- Keep a regular schedule.
- Avoid Caffeine. Products such as coffee, tea, cola and chocolate can remain in the body for 3-12 hours, depending on the individual.
- Avoid Nicotine. It is a stimulant and makes it more difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. Nicotine may also cause nightmares.
- Avoid alcohol as a sleep aid. It may help you to relax and fall asleep, but it can lead to disturbed, restless sleep with many awakenings.
- Don't eat or drink too much close to bedtime. Eating a heavy meal just before bed may make it difficult to fall asleep and lead to heartburn. Fluids may cause frequent bathroom trips.
- Avoid napping during the day.
- Exercise can promote better sleep but do it at least three hours prior to bedtime.
- Relax before bedtime. Don't have emotional conversations at night. Some people find that reading, meditating, aromatherapy, light stretching or taking a hot bath can assist in relaxation.
- Keep pets off the bed as this may cause disruption of your sleep when they move, jump or make sounds.
- Create a sleep promoting environment. No watching tv or staring at the clock. Keep the room quiet, comfortable and dark. Remember, if your bed partner or children snore or kick in bed it will cause you to have a sleep problem, too.