Five Million Lives
Alexian Brothers Health System has joined other healthcare institutions in The 5 Million Lives Campaign, which challenges American hospitals to adopt 12 changes in care that save lives and reduce patient injuries. The goal of the initiative is to protect patients from five million incidents of medical harm through December 2008. The 12 changes in care include:
The six interventions from the 100,000 Lives Campaign
- Deploy Rapid Response Teams... at the first sign of patient decline.
- Deliver Reliable, Evidence-Based Care for Acute Myocardial Infarction... to prevent deaths from heart attack.
- Prevent Adverse Drug Events (ADEs)... by implementing medication reconciliation or comparing a patient's medication orders to all of the medications that the patient has been taking.
- Prevent Central Line Infections... by preventing catheter-related bloodstream infections.
- Prevent Surgical Site Infections... by reliably delivering the correct antibiotics at the proper time.
- Prevent Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia... by preventing serious lung infection.
New interventions targeted at harm
- Prevent Harm from High-Alert Medications... starting with a focus on anticoagulants, sedatives, narcotics, and insulin.
- Reduce Surgical Complications... by reliably implementing all of the changes in care recommended by the Surgical Care Improvement Project.
- Prevent Pressure Ulcers
- Reduce Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection... a bacterial infection resistant to antibiotic methicillin.
- Deliver Reliable, Evidence-Based Care for Congestive Heart Failure... to avoid readmissions.
- Get Boards on Board... by defining and spreading the best-known leveraged processes for hospital Boards of Directors, so that they can become far more effective in accelerating organizational progress toward safe care.
To learn more about Five Million Lives at Alexian Brothers Health System, call 866-253-9426 or email Quality@Alexian.net.