Dr. Bryan Bertoglio is among the best neurosurgeons in the country. He is highly skilled and extensively trained in microsurgical, endoscopic, and stereotactic techniques to provide the most advanced neurosurgical treatment.
After graduating from the University of Illinois with undergraduate and medical degrees, Dr. Bertoglio completed neurosurgical residency training at the University of Iowa. During residency he performed research relating blood flow in the brain to spinal fluid movement for which he lectured throughout the United States. His research investigates the fundamental physiology of conditions as diverse as dementia and hydrocephalus. Clinically, he saw the value to patients in developing minimally invasive spine techniques, and in fully utilizing endoscopic and stereotactic technologies. He has actively pursued these evolutions in neurosurgery ever since.
After residency Dr. Bertoglio gained further experience as a faculty associate at the University of Iowa with a clinical emphasis on advanced spine, pediatric and endoscopic neurosurgery. He continued to build on the application of minimally invasive technologies – applying them to obtain improved results through small incisions, with less post-operative pain and faster recoveries.
Dr. Bertoglio then traveled to Melbourne Australia, where he served as the Pediatric Neurosurgery fellow at the Royal Children’s Hospital. While there he performed a broad range of general pediatric neurosurgery and took part in world-leading epilepsy and craniofacial programs.
He joined Alexian Brothers for its comprehensive neuroscience support and patient-centered mission. His expertise in spine and pediatric neurosurgical care complements the neurosurgery team led by Dr. Szymon Sami Rosenblatt, Medical Director of Neurological Surgery, to provide an integrated and comprehensive neurosurgical service.
- Medical School: University of Illinois at Chicago, where he graduated with the prestigious James Scholar Program for Independent Study distinction for gifted students in medicine
- Residency (neurosurgery): University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
- Fellowship (complex spine): University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
- Fellowship (pediatric neurosurgery): Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne , Australia
Dr. Bertoglio holds membership in several prestigious medical societies:
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- AANS/CNS Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Complex and minimally invasive spine
- Neuroendoscopy, keyhole & minimally invasive cranial neurosurgery
- Hydrocephalus and disorders of CSF physiology
Request an appointment with Dr. Bryan Bertoglio.