Feeding is one of the most important and rewarding experiences for a mother and baby. Alexian Brothers Women and Infant Services offers personalized help from a board-certified lactation consultant who will discuss feeding methods and assist as necessary. Our experts possess a minimum of 2,500 hours of training to go along 20 hours of continuing education per year and re-certification every 5 years. In addition, we were awarded the IBCLC Care Award in 2011.
Our board-certified experts are available for consultations. These include:
- Telephone Consultation - Available 7 days a week. Calls are returned within 24 hours with translators available for Spanish or any other language. Contact us at 847-755-7600 for more information.
- Office Consultation - After discharge, patients can make an appointment with one of our Lactation Consultants for a more extensive consultation.
- Inpatient Consultation - The Lactation Consultants are available to assist patients in the hospital on any unit, including the Mother/Baby Unit.
Breast Pump Rental and Sales
Hospital-grade breast pumps are available for rent. Our gift shop carries high quality breast pumps and accessories for purchase.
- Our Lactation Consultants are spearheading the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, with the goal of becoming certified in 2014. Intense training of medical and nursing staff on breastfeeding practices results in the best outcomes. This designation reflects full compliance with The Ten Steps for Successful Breastfeeding developed by the World Health Organization and UNICEF.
- Each mother is provided with a copy of our Breastfeeding and Infant Nutrition Book that provides cutting-edge information on breastfeeding from newborn through toddler years.
Classes & Support Groups
Prenatal Breastfeeding Class
Monthly classes are offered to prepare mothers-to-be on basic breastfeeding techniques, avoiding common problems and pumping/returning to work. Call AlexianConnects at 1-866-ALEXIAN (1-866-253-9426) or register online.
B.E.S.T. Group (Breastfeeding Education and Sharing Time
Moms and their babies meet every Monday from 10 am - 12 pm in a relaxed atmosphere within the lower level of the Alexian Brothers Women & Children's Hospital to discuss their concerns, questions and special moments. A Lactation Consultant is present at every meeting. There is no fee or registration.
For any questions or concerns, please call the Lactation Helpline at 847-755-7600 or email email@example.com.