Heart Valve Program
The Heart Valve Program at Alexian Brothers Heart & Vascular Institute offers individualized treatment plans developed in conjunction with the patients primary care physician to determine the optimal approach for each patient. Our goal is to comprehensively evaluate a patient’s suitability for all types of aortic valve interventions and to provide the most effective treatment option(s) for patients with moderate to severe aortic stenosis. Our aim is to optimize clinical outcomes and seek to improve and prolong quality and duration of life.
We provide comprehensive assessment and treatment for patients with moderate to severe symptomatic aortic stenosis. As a result of our evaluation it will be determined whether patients are best treated with medications, surgical aortic valve replacement or transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). Patients who are considered high risk for surgery due to risk of death, complications, advanced age and/or other medical conditions will be evaluated for the less invasive TAVR procedure. Our program is the first hospital in the northwest suburbs of Chicago approved to perform the groundbreaking TAVR procedure independently.
The Heart Valve Program includes:
- Diagnosis and imaging evaluation. Cutting edge imaging technology includes:
- 3D Echo and 3D TEE
- 64 slice CT
- Cardiac MRI
- Complete options for valve intervention including;
- catheter-based intervention
- minimally invasive surgery
- open surgical interventions
- Treatment recommendations including medical therapy and anticoagulation
- Second opinions: Review of valve diagnosis, severity, and the timing and type of recommended intervention
- Ongoing follow-up care